Friday, May 23, 2008

Kansas City Barbecue







Jack Stack Barbecue
Kansas City, Missouri
http://www.jackstackbbq.com/


I believe I may have found the best barbecue in Kansas City. If you have been to Kansas City and have a favorite, you are welcome to beg to differ, however; Jack Stack has some of the most brilliant, cravable barbecue I've tasted. This is a local chain of four restaurants but it would not surprise me if they continued to expand (with the usual Dine-o-meter warning: Jack Stack, please don't lose quality in exchange for quantity).

The ribs, chicken, and burnt ends (very popular, very delicious) are great, but what impresses me the most is the attention to the side dishes. Most barbecue places focus on the meat and then serve baked beans from a can. At Jack Stack's, the beans are the best I've tasted--sweet and seasoned with pork. The cheesy corn is also great and not something I would typically see at a barbecue restaurant. The coleslaw was also flavorful and fresh.

We waited about 30 minutes for a table on a Sunday night, although we did have a large party. Smaller parties were seated much quicker. Given that the place was so packed on a Sunday night, I cannot imagine how crowded it would be on a Friday or Saturday.

I could have done without the paintings of doe-eyed cows on the ceiling, creating much guilt for me that I was about to eat their brethren. How about some angry, hostile looking cows to lessen my guilt?

We debated for a long time between a 9 and a 10. Some say they have tasted better barbecue, so we decided on a 9 or 90%, but really it's more like a 95%.


Dineometer rating: 90%

No comments: