Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Adventure Dining: Chattanooga: Middle Eastern

University Pizza and Deli,
Chattanooga Tennessee

This is one of the few restaurants in the Chattanooga area where Middle Eastern food is served. Since there is a picture on the wall of Palestine, I am going to make the logical leap that the owners are of that ethnicity. I am a fan of the Baba Ghannouge and I think this may be one of the only (if not THE only) place in town to get that (Baba Ghannouge is a roasted eggplant puree with olive oil, garlic, and lemon that is eaten with pita bread). I also love the grilled kebabs served with basmati rice. That said, this restaurant has a few issues. I for one would prefer less grease on the food (such as the rice dishes and eggplant parmesan) even if it is olive oil. The gyro is not the real gyro that is cut from a rotating skewer--which I can almost understand and perhaps even forgive--due to the small order volume. The deserts, while tempting, are not homemade (I am being picky, aren't I). Being near the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, the pizza is quite popular although I have not yet tried it.

http://www.dineometer.com/

No comments: